Welcome to STXLUG Livestream
Topic: Encrypt Data and Communications
Intro and News
- Presenter: Eduardo Robles
- Ubuntu 19.04 available for download now https://ubuntu.com
Quick intro to encryption
- Linux Unified Keys System https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/
- This is a utility that helps encrypt devices in Linux.
- LUKS can be very useful when you want to encrypt whole devices like a external hard drive or usb drive.
Original tutorial found at https://averagelinuxuser.com/encrypt-hard-drive-in-linux/
BEGIN CREATING ENCRYPTED PARTITION
- Encrypt the desired partition
- Open the encrypted partition
- Create a filesystem on encrypted partition
- Fine your ext4 partition (optional)
TESTING THE ENCRYPTED PARTITION
- Create a directory in the partition
- Now mount the partition
- Now create a test file
- Change permissions so regular user can have access to partition (Optional)
- Test file permission on partition
I have showed how you can encrypt data on a drive and other tools that help with encrypted communications. It’s always a good idea to learn some of these skills so you can protect your data.
Thanks everyone who joined in and I hope you have a great weekend!
Support my endeavors!
View raw notes