Welcome to STXLUG Livestream
Topic: Introduction to Encryption
- The Humble Book Bundle: Linux Edition https://www.humblebundle.com/books/linux-wiley-books
- Linux Kernel 5.0 https://www.linux.com/blog/new-linux-kernel-big-50
What is encryption?
What is PGP?
Why use encryption?
How do you start encrypting your data?
- There are a variety of methods you can use to encrypt your data. Today we will be learning how to use GPG (Gnu Privacy Guard).
- With GPG you can create key pairs (Public and Private) that you will use to safely encrypt data or just messages.
Share Public key on Facebook
- You can add your public key to Facebook easily. Check out this blog post to learn more.
Use Keybase for easy key management
- Using a service like Keybase makes setting up PGP keys super easy.
Or simply send your Public key via email or meet in person.
- To encrypt a file with gpg is pretty easy.
- Encrypt files for yourself
gpg --output FILETOENCRYPT.gpg --encrypt --recipient [email protected] FILETOENCRYPT.txt
- Decrypt files for yourself
gpg --output FILETODECRYPT.gpg --decrypt UNENCRYPTEDFILE.txtyou will be asked for you passphrase.
- To encrypt a file for someone simply use the email to their Public key in the command above.
Encryption can protect you and others from spying. It takes some work to setup but once it’s setup you can feel confident that your communications are safe.
I want to thank you all for joining me again an I hope you all have a great day!
View Raw Notes